Looking Cute When it's Chilly for a Night Out!

At the end of the month I'm off to find the perfect apartment up north, and my trip just happens to coincide with New Year's Eve. This has left me with a major style debacle though; how do you look cute while going out but still stay warm when it's freezing outside? I'm used to spending my New Year's Eve in little black dresses with temperatures in the 70's so this is a huge change!
Looking Cute when its Chilly
In addition to a stylish and insulated coat, I've decided I need to find the perfect cute and comfortable sweater dress, a pair of fun tights (or two..), sparkly earrings, and a pair of high heeled boots. I know it's early to think about New Year's but with final exams and working retail during the craziest month, I know i'll be stressing!
What do you wear when you go out & still want to look cute when it's chilly?

xoxo, lauren